Monday, August 31, 2009

Walking down memory lane.. or at the very least Addie street

"Its not easy to find someone who cares, its not easy to find magic in pairs." Anybody guess what that song is from??

Pete's Dragon :)

Today while shopping at Costco I made the mistake of going down the movie isle, as I always do, I had planned to buy the Hannah Montana movie for the girls. They had this deal where if you bought that and Pete's Dragon you automatically got $6 off so ofcourse I bought them both- great deal! I remember liking the movie as a kid.

Oliver wanted to watch it this evening after dinner so I put it on, he fell asleep on the couch a good 15 minutes into it. Now normally when something like this happens I put the kid to bed and turn on "real TV"- not so much tonight. I sat there and watched all of the movie, and sang along. How had I compeletely forgotten how much I loved this movie? It might seem totally silly- it is. I wanted to BE IN this movie when I was little.

I remember now- it is so much fun for me when something comes back to me from my childhood that had previously been lost to the void of mommy brain. I don't know how old I was, I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old. I know this because these particular memories are from a house that I spent those years living in, we called it the "house on Addie street". We moved from that house the year after Kindergarten, but I don't have very much stuff that I remember from then so when I see it I grasp it. Okay- so back to the point (is there one? maybe, maybe not) I shared a room with my older sister (who is my best friend and I miss terribly, but thats a whole other novel) and we had this little record player and only a few records to play on it. One of these were the songs from Pete's Dragon, see I don't have memories of actually watching the movie but I watched it tonight and I knew those songs in and out! I just have a synpet in my mind- me lying down beside our closet in our room singing as loud as I could. Thats it.

One other small thing I remember from that house, very insignificant but I wanted to write it down. Whistle lollipops- no clue what they were actually named, but it was a big deal. We would walk down the street to the store to get them- they were suckers that were also whistles- cool beans.

Me, my sis and my mom at the house on Addie street~

1 comment:

Brittanie said...

Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten about Whistle Pops! Such a cute part of your memories. Now I'm off to watch Pete's Dragon :)